The Georgetown Prep varsity basketball team opened their I.A.C. conference schedule last Tuesday night at Bullis. Prep, who was without Dejean Desire '19 and Kamdyn Curfman '19 due to injury, led 16-14 at the end of the first quarter. Bullis pulled ahead in the second quarter and led 38-35 at the half. In the second half, Bullis pulled away and went on to win 83-55. Prep was led by Miles Somerville '19 (16 points) and Zion Russell '21 (13 points)
The Hoyas traveled to Northwest, Washington, D.C., on Friday night to take on St. Albans. Again, without Desire and Curfman, Prep played St. Albans close for the first quarter and led 15-12. Prep's strong defense held St. Albans to only 25 points first half points and led 30-25 at the half. The Hoyas and Bulldogs were tied going in the fourth quarter, but Prep's offense came to life in the final quarter and held on for the 62-57 victory. Somerville (22 points) and Russell (16 points) led the Hoyas.
Last evening, Prep hosted Episcopal High School. Episcopal took an early 18-11 lead and led at the half, 36-24. Prep came back in the second half and pulled ahead by one late in the fourth quarter. Episcopal hit a three pointer with a minute left and held on for the 65-62 win. The Hoyas were led by Somerville (17 points) and Curfman (12 points).
Prep will travel to Bethesda, Maryland this Friday, January 18 to take on Landon at Landon at 7:30 p.m. The Hoyas will travel to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on Saturday, January 19 to take part in the PHT Invitational.
The Hoyas are 8-6 on the year and 1-2 in the I.A.C.
Prep's varsity hockey team took on Gonzaga at Ft. DuPont on Wednesday night. Gonzaga avenged their opening game loss to Prep with a 4-1 victory over the Hoyas. It was Prep's first loss of the season.
The Hoyas rebounded on Friday with a 6-0 win to open their I.A.C. schedule over St. Stephen's & St. Agnes.
Prep takes on Landon this afternoon at Rockville Ice Arena at 4:15 p.m. The Hoyas will host Bishop O'Connell on Friday, January 18 at 6:30 p.m. at Cabin John.
Prep is on the year at 7-1 and is ranked #1 in the area by The Washington Post.
Swimming and Diving
Prep's swimming and diving team hosted Gonzaga on Friday for a critical meet.
In a very close meet, Prep held on for the 95-91 win over Gonzaga. See the full meet results here.
Prep hosted Calvert Hall College High School yesterday afternoon. Prep went on to win, 100-70.
Prep hosts a three-team meet today with Bullis and St. Stephen's & St. Agnes at 4:00 p.m. The Hoyas will travel to Baltimore this Saturday, January 19 to compete in the Catholic Nationals.
Prep's varsity wrestling team traveled to Alexandria, Virginia to take on Episcopal High School.
In a close team match, Prep lost to Episcopal, 37-30. On Friday, Prep lost to host Landon by a score of 54-27.
Prep hosts St. Stephen's & St. Agnes today at 5:00 p.m. Prep will participate in the Panther Invitational this Friday and Saturday at Paint Branch High School.
Georgetown Prep's winter track team participated in the Frostbite Invitational a few weeks ago.
Odera Nweke '19 placed second the 55-meter race. Michael Butler '19 finished in second place in the shot put competition. Ben Bell '20 placed sixth in the 300-meter race.
The Hoyas will travel to Alexandria, Virginia this Friday, January 18 to take on Episcopal at 4:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, January 16: Varsity wrestling hosts St. Stephen's & St. Agnes at 5:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, January 16: Swimming and Diving hosts a three-team meet with Bullis and St. Stephen's & St. Agnes at 4:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, January 16: Varsity hockey takes on Landon at Rockville Ice Arena at 4:15 p.m.
- Friday, January 18: Varsity basketball is away at Landon at 7:30 p.m.
- Friday, January 18: Varsity wrestling is away at Paint Branch High School competing in the Panther Invitational. Time TBD.
- Friday, January 18: Varsity hockey takes on O'Connell High School at 6:30 p.m. at Cabin John Ice Arena.
- Friday, January 18: Winter track is away at Episcopal at 4:00 p.m.
- Saturday, January 19: Varsity wrestling is away at Paint Branch High School competing in the Panther Invitational. Time TBD.
- Saturday, January 19: Swimming and Diving is away at Loyola University for the Catholic Nationals.
- Saturday, January 19: Varsity basketball is away at the PHT Invitational in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Game time TBD.
Dan Paro '79