COVID-19 Update for 2021-22
Georgetown Preparatory School’s COVID-19 Policies for the Start of School,
effective August 24, 2021
Georgetown Prep is committed to a fully operating on-campus program this year, providing each student with the full experience that Prep has to offer.
In this ever-changing landscape of public health regulations and recommendations regarding the spread of COVID-19, the School continues to communicate with its medical advisory council and follow the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), and the Montgomery County and Maryland state health authorities in order to make sound decisions that best serve the health and safety of the Georgetown Prep community.
In our efforts as a school community to protect against the spread of COVID, we have noted our current policies below. These policies are in place for the start of the school year, and any changes or updates to Georgetown Prep’s policies will be communicated by email and reflected here.
Effective July 20, 2021, Georgetown Prep mandated the COVID-19 vaccine for students, faculty, and staff for the 2021-22 school year. The only exceptions made to this mandate were for those with medical or religious exemptions.
- At this time, Georgetown Prep requires all persons, regardless of vaccination status, to wear masks while indoors on campus, except while eating meals or while residents are in their own dorm room.
- Masks must also be worn during any indoor school-sponsored activity off campus, including during transport (e.g. riding buses for a field trip, an away athletic game, and taking the shuttle from the Metro school, etc.)
- Lunch will be served in the Field House to allow for proper spacing at tables and distribution of meals.
- Students may also take their lunch outside as we will provide seating around campus.
- Georgetown Prep will not require screening testing for vaccinated students at this time.
- Unvaccinated students are required to be tested each week, as well as resident students during their transition to campus. Students with a medical exemption from vaccination must test on campus August 25 between 12:00 - 5:00 p.m. or submit a negative test result taken no earlier than 8/25/21 to the School Nurse Sharon Weldon in the GP Health Office.
- Optional PCR testing will be available for all students, faculty, and staff on campus each week.
- Per the CDC guidelines, vaccinated students and faculty/staff who have been exposed to COVID-19 must receive a PCR test with 3-5 days of known exposure, regardless of the absence of symptoms. Local testing sites, if needed.
- Unvaccinated individuals deemed to be a close contact are required to quarantine for 14 days.
Daily Health Screening and Self-Reporting:
- Starting Tuesday, August 24, 2021, only unvaccinated students will submit the daily healthy screening questionnaire, continuing the procedure from the 2020-21 school year.
- All students and faculty/staff will be expected to continue to use their best judgment to keep the school community healthy. If you have a fever or other symptoms of illness, you must remain off campus or isolated in your dorm room until symptoms subside. Consult your physician or the Health Office, if needed.
- Resident students with a fever or symptoms must report them to the Health Office for further observation and diagnosis.
Visitors to Campus:
- Mask use indoors will be required for all visitors, regardless of vaccination status.
- Please respect that our campus is not fully open to visitors at this time. Any visitor requests that are considered non-essential to our campus needs may not be approved at this time.
- Typically approved visitors are students/parents invited by Admissions, vendors with whom we have a business need, any visitors with Athletics that are participating in outdoor sporting events, parent volunteers that have been vaccinated, and other guests pre-approved by the President, Headmaster, or a senior administrator.
Other Campus Safety Measures:
- Georgetown Prep will also continue to thoroughly clean the facilities.
- Georgetown Prep will continue to encourage solid hygiene practices, including frequent hand washing or sanitation.
- Georgetown Prep will continue to provide physical distancing as possible within the classrooms, depending on the space available, in keeping with recent CDC recommendations.
- Going forward this academic year, there will be a COVID update communicated on an as-needed basis.
- Parent communications will be shared in the School’s weekly update.
- If you have a question about the policies, feel free to reach out to School Nurse Sharon Weldon, RN, in the GP Health Office.