Christian Service Program
Service at Prep not only changed my high school experience, it changed the way I view the world. I learned to be a leader by taking sophomores and juniors into DC to feed the homeless. I met incredible people who I never would have otherwise crossed paths with. Service at Prep goes beyond helping someone in need. It allows us to know the true feeling of being a man for others. I will definitely pursue service in college because it helped me grow so much throughout high school.
— Adam Bacigalupo ’12
Prep offers a wide array of service opportunities, ensuring that each student can complete his service requirement with personally fulfilling volunteer work. There are specially planned annual events, such as the Day of Service.
Regular service opportunities are hosted by the Arrupe Society, the student-led organization that organizes events such as the Thanksgiving food drive, toy drive , and blood drive. There are numerous other opportunities throughout the year, including:
- Serving at the Aged Women’s Home
- Getting involved with the Best Buddies program
- Tutoring at the Washington Jesuit Academy
- Volunteering with Challenger Baseball
Summer Service Trips
Rising seniors are offered the opportunity to participate in one of Prep’s six summer immersion trips where they learn to make a difference in an under-served community while living out their responsibilities as Men for Others. Current opportunities are to:
- New Orleans—The Second Line Project TBD
- the mining town of Ivanhoe, VA TBD
- Somos Amigos TBD
- the Pine Ridge Native American Reservation in South Dakota TBD
- McKenna Center in Downtown Washington, D.C. TBD
- Eastern Shore of Virginia— ESVA Summer Service Learning Trip TBD
Applications will be available in mid-January 2016.
Director of Christian Service:
Mr. Kurt Kaufmann